Rowe Design and Consulting
Rowe Design and Consulting (PTY) Ltd
Rowe Design and Consulting was established in 2013 to meet the demand for our new RVSBK kilns. The company provides a central repository of RVSBK design, construction and operational knowledge in South Africa. Its primary goal is to assist brick makers in reducing wastage and coal usage thus achieving a lower carbon footprint. The RVSBK firing technology has the ability to fire several different products and produces a very consistent clay product. We are establishing this greener technology, further ensuring our commitment to the environment and lowering our client’s reliance on fossil fuels.
After assessing the necessary requirements for the project of improving the MKI VSBK, it was decided that Autodesk Inventor – part of the Autodesk Factory Design Suite – was the ideal 3D software for the project. As a fully licenced user of the software, it took us beyond the simplified 2D/3D of AutoCAD into the realm of digital prototyping and that gave us a comprehensive and flexible set of tools for 3D design, simulation, tooling, visualisation and most importantly documentation.
The Factory Design Suite Software allowed us to validate the form, and fit and to animate the function of the product before it was built. It provided an expanded view of both the drawings and manuals to simplify the maintenance and training of operating personnel without having to use any other software.
The company used this opportunity to design an even more advanced RVSBK firing system, and further reduce ownership costs and increase thermal efficiencies. We are currently engaged with several contracts in South Africa.
Advantages of RVSBK:
- Hi energy efficiency
- Less polluting emissions
- Greater uniform quality and quantity of fired bricks
- Centralised production and covered environment
- Low maintenance requirements
Advantages of the new RVSBK design for constructors / brick makers:
- RVSBK design – reduction of cost, time and materials compared to pilot kiln
- Multi block customizable layout ease of access for loading / unloading
- Decreased construction lead times with offsite component manufacturing
- Modular approach- ability to enlarge facility to meet demand without shaft shutdown
- Centralised hydraulic and crane supply system
- Automatic fuel logging for CDM / ISO
- Air recirculation system provides heat recovery and restricts emissions from the top of the shaft
- Ease of access to reline the refractory shaft without affecting other shafts in proximity
- Components can be easily replaced